Monday 28 April 2014

Warboss and Grunt Printed - Delay with print

Shipping costs are just another added amount onto the price of getting my models printed, I therefore decided to get my Warboss and Grunt models ordered at the same time, so they could be shipped together, reducing the costs slightly. This was partially a financial decision but also down to convenience as I had almost finished my 3rd model by the time I had decided on a scale for the Warboss.

It did however create some problems as it meant I was going to have to wait longer for the models to be printed and was risking delays in the project. However, as long as the models turned up before I was done painting the first model I knew there wouldn't be any delay or problems.

I decided to get the Warboss printed at 5" inches and the Grunt printed at 3.5"
I always wanted to Warboss to be the biggest of the models, as he is the HQ unit and the most important of the 3 I've made. The scale did however mean the cost of getting him printed increased dramatically.
The Grunt on the other hand is the smallest of the 3 models. I made this choice consciously as he is a basic infantry unit and is by default the smallest and simplest.

I think the choices I've made in the scaling of all 3 models works out well as they are varied in size and complexity as you move down their scale of importance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delay with print!

It generally doesn't take too long for the models to go through processing and production at shapeways once its been confirmed they have no issues that prevent them being printed. I was therefore surprised and concerned that a week after ordering the models they still hadn't moved past the processing stage.

I then received an email from shapeways stating they had a major backlog in orders and it was going to take longer to do my models. This was absolutely devastating news! I have no control over how long it takes shapeways to get my models done but there is obviously a set amount of time I need to get them painted and I was worried I wouldn't get them back with enough time to get them finished.

With the matter completely out of my hands there was nothing I could do but continue with the painting of my 1st model and hope the others would arrive on time. Almost a week later the models got through processing and production and were on their way, arriving very quickly after they'd been printed.

This delayed my project by just over a week, but I was able to move swiftly onto painting them once they arrived. Pics will follow in later posts as I continue to paint all the models.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this amazing post with us. I like to explore some printed glass cabinets.

    ReplyDelete